Sewing Machinist Apprentice
Position: Monday - Thursday 9 - 4pm , with Fridays training
Location: home studio in Cockfosters, North London. Postcode EN4 8FL
Pay: National apprentice minimum wage, £4.15 per hour, increasing in line with the standard annual April rate change
Length: Duration of your college course with the option to become employed on a permanent basis once course is completed.
About Lolly & Kiks
Lolly & Kiks is a bags & accessories brand; Inspired by Africa, Handmade in London and Worn by All.
The business is mainly a one-woman operation, started in 2018 by Xandra Kike (“Kiks”) an ex-Buyer and Product Development Manager. She built the business around caring for her daughter (”Lolly”) and is currently in the successful process of scaling the business now that her daughter has started school.
Role Description in Line with Apprenticeship Standard
- Operating your assigned sewing machine(s)
- Working with a variety of materials and trimmings
- Using a variety of sewing production techniques and methods
- Producing sewn items that meet quality standards, targets and deadlines
- Interpreting and following instructions and technical specifications
- Monitoring and maintaining the work flow
- Routine machine maintenance
- Organisation and maintenance of an efficient workstation
- Adhering to health and safety rules and regulations
Occasionally, you’ll be required to support with the following aspects of a fast-growing start-up:
- Social media content planning & creation across our Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest
- Setting up Ad campaigns across Google and the above social platforms
- Google analytics & keywords monitoring
- Influencer & press management (identifying relevant partners, sending out samples and photos)
- Keeping the website and other online selling platforms (e.g., Etsy) looking spick’n’span - including uploading new products, updating pricing, descriptions and stock availability
- Brainstorming ways to improve SEO (search engine optimization), such as coming up with ideas for relevant blog posts
- Supporting on product/lifestyle shoots
- Capturing behind the scenes activities for use on social media
- Fulfilling orders via the website and taking packages to the post office
- Stock taking - keeping on top of stock whereabouts!
- General admin tasks – sometimes boring but sooO necessary!
- Research for business development projects
- An entrepreneurial spirit, with a creative mind-set and a can do attitude
- Organized and motivated, with the ability to prioritize your workload
- Looking to develop a career in fashion, retail and/or online e-commerce (tasks can be tailored around your main interests)
- You have good communication skills and pay attention to detail
- Team player is your mantra – although you love to work independently once given clear direction and objectives!
- To be part of an exciting start-up brand and learn how it works from beginning to end, from the design, to production, marketing and sales
- Pay with work experience that has the potential to develop into a permanent full-time role at the end of your apprenticeship. And of course, reference letters if and when required by future employers