Anti-slavery charity Unseen is launching a new campaign in March to raise awareness and reporting of labour abuse among clothing workers in the Leicester area – #endexploitationnow
Following the announcement of the new FCFTA launching in Leicester this summer we are delighted to be supporting this campaign. The aim of the new fashion technology academy is to work closely with existing garment manufacturers in Leicester and offer accredited training for people working in the local textiles industry.
Leicester has the second largest concentration of textile and fashion manufacturing businesses in the UK. Recognising the importance of the industry to the local economy, the city council is investing £300,000 to help set up the pilot project.
About the campaign
#endexploitationnow is urging people to get in touch with Unseen’s Modern Slavery & Exploitation Helpline if they:
- think they are the victims of labour abuse
- they know someone who is being exploited.
Individuals can phone the 24-hour Helpline on 08000 121 700 for advice on what to do. All calls are free, confidential and can be conducted in more than 200 languages.
Why this campaign is important
There has been a lot of criticism recently centring on labour abuse in the clothing and fast fashion sector, particularly in factories in the Leicester area. By raising awareness of the Helpline among the local community, we want people to know that there is support out there for them.
What you can do
There are lots of things you can do to support the campaign:
1) Download and print our free posters and share them around colleagues, local shops and community organisations.
3) Post the attached social media throughout March and download our campaign film to post on your own channels. We’ve created one social media asset for Twitter and Facebook for each week of March.
In your social media posts, please:
i) Say you support the campaign
ii) Promote the Modern Slavery & Exploitation Helpline 08000 121 700 as the place to go for help and advice
iii) Remember to use #endexploitationnow in all your social media posts.
4) Write an “All staff” email to colleagues telling them about your support for the campaign and encouraging them to spread the word among friends and family and on their own social media.
- There’s more information about the campaign on Unseen’s website: www.unseenuk.org/news/113
- Also on our website is an explanation of how to contact the Modern Slavery & Exploitation Helpline in seven languages.
Thanks for your support for the campaign.
Together let’s #endexploitationnow in the Leicester clothing industry.