On the 1st and 2nd December 2021, tutor Claire Solley welcomed a second cohort of Garment Technologists from ASOS.com. The Optitex 2-day masterclass explained the many benefits of the software package, including how to prepare patterns for 3D simulation, garment fit, applying colour, pattern and texture and much more.
Claire provided clear, step-by-step instructions which the group were able to follow and gain practical Optitex use.
The informative session included:
– Working with the avatar editor.
– How it is possible to adjust the digital mannequin size to be as per your customer.
– PDS 2D how to prepare patterns for 3D simulation.
– Pattern placement, applying location and shape for accurate simulation adding stitches to the garment, flipping stitches that are incorrect applying fabric parameters so simulation knows how much the fabric will stretch/drape, applying stitch properties, lock stitch for woven garments, 4 thread for stretch, 3D placement on avatar so pattern simulates well.
– Garment fit.
– Checking the fit of the garment using mesh, tension maps, and stretch map.
– PDS applying colour and print and fabric texture.
– Creating multiple colourways for the garment, creating printed versions, scaling print up and down, what happens if the print is not repeated correctly.
– Applying fabric textures to give realistic effect in rendering.
Feedback from the ASOS team was excellent and included:
“I learnt about shortcuts – super helpful! I learnt lots that I needed to know about Optitex and how I can use it. I feel quite confident about using it with suppliers now.”
“I was very new to this so I had many questions but I was made to feel like it was all OK. I cannot wait to come back!”