The textile care industry encompasses commercial laundry and dry/wet cleaning. Commercial laundries provide laundry services and often product rental, to a wide range of sectors in the UK. This includes work-wear for manufacturing, industrial, food, transport and pharmaceutical sectors; and linen for hospitality, catering, hotel, hospital and care sectors. Dry/wet cleaning is defined as high street aftercare of garments and fabrics using solvents such as perchloroethylene or hydro-carbons (dry) or the relatively new aqueous-based process utilising detergents (wet).
There are over 3,500 textile care businesses in the UK, ranging in size from SMEs to PLCs. The industry employs circa 32,000 employees and is worth in the region of £1billion a year. Textile Care Services Operatives form the majority of employees in the sector and are at the heart of the operation.
What You Will Learn:
- Sorting and identifying incoming product, often using technology, e.g. work-wear, table cloths, sheets, towels, personal items for dry/wet cleaning;
- Ensuring the product is high-quality and fit for purpose;
- Working safely and efficiently, whilst minimising the impact on the environment;
- Rectifying basic faults, e.g. product mis-feed;
- Classifying products for appropriate cleaning process;
- Using appropriate chemicals to undertake the cleaning process, e.g. bleach;
- Operating specialist equipment/machinery to process products in line with standard operating procedures (SOPs), e.g. batch washing machines and presses steamers;
- Drying and finishing products whilst adhering to company quality procedures; and
- Preparing and packing items for dispatch to meet customer requirements.
How You Will be Taught
You will be taught one day at week at the Fashion Technology Academy and will go into the workplace for the other 4 days.
What can I do once I have completed the course?
Once you have completed the course you are apply to apply for the following role; Laundry Operative, Production Operative, Garment Cleaner, Dry Clean Operative, Wet Clean Operative and General Laundry Operative.